Sunday 2 February 2014

rethinking internet negativity

There is so much of it about so many things.

I suspect that for many, the internet is a place for people to vent and get things out of their system. I know that I have vented online in the past. So be it, but the accumulated negativity can be very wearing on the nerves after a while and can negatively colour your view of the world.

Since this is ostensibly a bike blog, I thought I would dedicate this post to a recitation of the positives associated with cycling in urban environments. It does not have to be about the negative, even though negative things can happen.
  1. Most people really are just fine. Most people share just fine. I include both cyclists and motorists in my most people. Most people get it. I would argue that for every person who is a total tool on the road, there are over 100 people who are simply awesome. Let's celebrate that majority while working to make the impact of that tiny minority smaller.
  2. Kitchener-Waterloo, where I live currently, does a great job of building and maintaining infrastructure that is good for cycling. We have urban to rural bike routes with full on wide bike lanes extending well out into the local countryside. MUPS are often plowed and maintained better than the roads are in the winter. Not all MUPS are cleared, but the main ones which actually connect to something are. In fact, a prime MUP through the subdivision I live in now has been plowed this winter for the first time. It connects the outer reaches of this end of the city to an arena and part of the core MUP system. Waterloo is in the process of turning its core road in the Uptown into a complete street. There has been significant push towards building a system of segregated bike lanes along this road by the community, and the politicians have listened. We don't know what will happen yet, but we do know that they listen. Kitchener has already rebuilt its core around making life easier for cyclists. Waterloo recently turned a wide multi-laned 50kmph road which was routinely used as a speedway into a complete street that holds fewer cars but moves them more efficiently and allows for much safer passage on a bicycle. More please and thanks.
  3. For those who like transit (I am not one such - I would rather just ride my bike and be done with it) Grand River Transit has the facilities to move people's bicycles with the buses. While not new, this service does make multi-modal transport much easier to use.
  4. Waterloo is increasing the amount of bicycle only parking in the core. In fact, they have also provided a work station and tools for people to repair their bicycles if needed. Very cool.
  5. Let's not forget how happy riding a bicycle can make you! I know that for me, and I am not alone in this, when I get exercise on the way into work I have a better day. It works almost without fail. I have more energy, and a more positive outlook on the day.
  6. Bikes cost less. If you drive 10km each way to work now, switch to a bicycle. You will be up 1000's of dollars a year in saved fuel, insurance, and maintenance. Also, your car will last longer and need to be replaced less frequently. It may be that your family can ditch a car or go car less. Imagine what you could do with the money, or at least a good chunk of the money, that is currently being spent on a car... While this won't work for everyone, it is certainly worth a try. A good friend of mine with a serious heart condition rides to work in fair weather (he is not a fan of winter). This allows him to improve his fitness and health, and helps keep them a one car family. It can work.
  7. Riding a bicycle makes you more connected with your community. Community is missing in many places these days. Cars make this worse. I get to say hi to people while on the bike. I get to talk to strangers. Best bit is, people greeted remember a friendly wave and will (sometimes) comment on that when we meet again. What goes around, comes around. It pays to be invested in the community. While this can be done from a car, the very nature of an automobile makes this more difficult due to speed and how isolated someone is from their environment while in a car.
  8. Cycling is often faster than driving, particularly in built up areas where traffic volume can snarl all movement and bring people to a frustrated standstill. I just sail on by. I can either take my bike lane and pass jam ups, or move over to a side street and keep on going with ease. True, my top speed is no where near that of a car, but my average speed is very close. It takes me less time to reach my favourite coffee shop on the bicycle than it does by car. 
I have only scratched the surface here. Think positively about whatever it is that you think about.

No comments:

Post a Comment