Tuesday 25 February 2014

on building a hotrod

I think with things being what they are, getting what I want together for a killer off the shelf road bike (Cervelo R3 Di2 Ultegra machine, for example) is just not so likely to happen.

In the world I live in, other pressures than cycling mean that spending serious cash on a bicycle is just not in the cards. Of course, things could change, but I think I am planning on something else.

This makes me think that perhaps the best option is to seriously hotrod my Kona Jake the Snake cyclocross bike in a manner similar to that which I did my now old (but still good performing) S-Works hardtail mountain bike.

So what to do with a 2013 Jake the Snake to make it special when on a budget?

First off, I love the bicycle as a whole. It is a lot of fun. I don't want to change the way it fits me, so changing up the cockpit does not matter to me even though I would like to swap out the components.

From the ground up, this is what I am considering. Prices are based on the respective company's webpages. Dealers may sell for less ;p

Wheelset

The bicycle needs to retain its ability to bang down gravel roads and rail trails and the like while gaining a better more responsive ride than the low end Shimano wheels it comes with offer. I am looking for something lighter, stiffer, and faster rolling than what is on the bicycle now. Either of these options would do the trick I think. I am leaning towards the Zipp.
  1. Zipp - Of course, what discussion of wheel sets would be complete without mentioning Zipp? I was thinking of the Zipp 30 clincher as a good all around choice which balances cost and durability. While they are low end, the appear to be very tough and better than much at its price point. ($850)
  2. Easton - The Easton EA90 sl was recommended to me by a friend of mine who races. He uses the higher end slx version of the set and loves them. He pointed out that this wheelset will take a good beating, and roll quite nicely. ($900)

Saddle

Nothing to do here. I bought a very light Ti railed unit from Specialized when I got the bike and love it.

Drivetrain

Whole sale changes are planned here. While what is on the bicycle now is good - Shimano Ultegra RD, 105 FD, and 105 brifters - shifting lacks a certain crispness and the chain rubs. The bike is a 10 speed unit. I find that often, the front deraileur often rubs and that drives me nuts.

I have had, for a while now, a hankering to try out a SRAM groupset. While the Red is worthy of a certain amount of gear lust (in much the same way DuraAce or Super Record is), there is nothing wrong with SRAM Force. It is a solid bang for your buck set of components.

  1. RD - SRAM Force 22 RD - looks to be a solid and light performer. Gets my vote. ($118)
  2. FD - SRAM Force 22 FD - one of the neat features about this one is the way it helps reduce chain rub by the derailleur rotating as it moves outwards to follow the line of the chain better. Apparently, it helps reduce chain rub and noise. Sounds good in theory. ($63)
  3. Shifters - SRAM Force 22 doubletap shifters - Needed to be compatible with the SRAM drivetrain - they are nice and light and full of carbon goodness.($469)
Of course, a compatible chain and cassette will have to be sourced. I would need to swap out the chain rings, but the FSA crank on the bicycle now will continue to serve. Upgrades would include something like the SRAM Force 22 crankset ($350ish) or perhaps a FSA SL-K Light Compact 50-34 crankset depending on compatibility.

Seatpost

I am not sure what to do here. I don't think I want a carbon one, but would like to replace the Kona branded post the bike came with. Something light and aluminum would be good.

In keeping with the Zipp theme, the Service Course Seatpost 20 ($98) looks like a very good offering. For one thing, it is available in the correct size, is aluminum, and is quite light and strong.

Cockpit

I am not sure why I like Zipp so much, but there you go.

Stem - The Zipp Service Course Stem ($76) or its big brother, the SL, would be the one to get. Again, in an effort to keep costs down, I am avoiding carbon while seeking a lighter solution to what is on the bicycle now.

Bar - The Zip Service Course SL 70 Ergo ($110) ought to do the trick with a good balance of strength, weight, and fit.

So there you have it, the building of a hotrod.

The order to do it would be wheels, drive train, then cockpit/seatpost at the same time. Should make the bicycle significantly lighter and more responsive (especially the wheels).

Supposing I skip the crankset, it comes to $1784 full retail for the Zipp/SRAM stuff plus chainrings, cassette, and chain. Not too bad actually since it can be done in manageable bits over a couple of years if need be.

No comments:

Post a Comment