Wednesday 5 February 2014

regarding lenses

It is funny. I have grown fond (if that is the word) of the relatively low end 12-50mm f3.5-6.3 kit lens from Olympus. I use it mostly as a 12mm, and for that, it works great. Also, it does an "ok" job at close up photography. Should the need arise, I can borrow a 60mm macro from my father.

With the Olympus E-M5, I find that I prefer the primes to the zooms. Different aesthetic I guess from my old E-3 and HG zooms I suppose. While the current 12-40mm f2.8 is a truly great optic, it is too big for my camera to hold comfortably (my knuckle rubs on the zoom ring when holding the camera and since the ring is textured and metal...). Plus, it is too costly (ie: not free...). Finances are a cow at the moment ;p

So it is with delight that I take note of the fact that Olympus has announced a 25mm f1.8 in the same line as my current prime collection for $399. It might be worth my while to think about saving for a bit and getting this optic. The IQ is wonderful and on par with my current primes (the 45mm f1.8 and 75mm f1.8), and with the 25, 45, and 75mm options in my camera bag, I would have most of the focal lengths I prefer covered. The 17mm f1.8 does not really appeal to me.

I am on the fence about a long lens and am not really "worrying" or even thinking about it at this time. The current zooms do not excite even though in the right light they are awesome. For those that know my photographic history, a switch from long lenses to wider fields of view is a radical departure. Prior to replacing my E-3 with the E-M5, about 50% of my Lightroom library was with the 50-200mm f2.8-3.5 swd lens.

I have noted some significant improvements in the quality of my work since acquiring new photographic tools which I believe speak for themselves. By improvements, I mean things not gear related (so much) but rather in composition and the like. Using primes instead of zooms has forced me to rethink how I build and compose a picture, and that is good for self discipline and the ultimate quality of my work I think.

No comments:

Post a Comment