Monday 22 October 2012

why looking down can sometimes matter

I have been enjoying a rare perfect fall day. The appointment that I had for the day fell through, which left me at loose ends for part of the day. I took advantage of that, and the perfect weather, to head out for a walk around a local plot of land owned by the University of Waterloo. Often, it is possible to find and record a significant amount of wildlife at this location if care is taken to be quiet and respectful of animals and their habitat.

A family (I assume it is a family - but I have seen only one of them) of beavers have moved into the area and have made a dam on the stream that feeds Columbia Lake. This has resulted in the creation of a duck pond and a deepening and widening of the creek back of the dam. It is quite impressive actually:




The above video shows the dam, and the new pond which was created back of it.

Here are some of the other things I found while there.





And here is why you look down...




1 comment:

  1. awesome. snakes are freaky buy they are so photogenic!

    ReplyDelete