Thursday 25 October 2012

fog is better

One of my friends, a fellow photographer, made an excellent observation on facebook this morning that goes something like this: "this light and fog is killing me slowly as I weep in my cube :("

What light you ask? Why this light.





It was divine. Just enough light to make everything glow, and just enough fog to put a sweet sweet soft filter over everything visible.




Unlike those in this building, I got to spend my morning in a cubical free world (although, to be fair, I am not sure that there is a single cubical in the Perimeter Institute for Theoretical Physics, but still and all, I was outside, they were inside. 'Nuff said.)

My office looked more like this.




It is not that I had no work today, it is just that it did not fall first thing in the morning. Thus, I was able to get out and about on the bicycle and really enjoy myself before heading off to my job for the day. 




My favourite way of photographing fog is to do what I usually do not do which is to shoot directly into the sun. The contrast and shadow it produces is marvelous as the fog acts like a huge light diffuser over the sun. The results attained when shooting like this appeal to me very much.




This may be it for the sun for a while; the weather forecast for the next week, starting sometime tomorrow mid-day, is for a serious amount of rain.

I do hope they are in error though as I wish to ride the bike. I worked out that I need to do at least 30km a day until the end of the year if I am going to reach my mileage goal of beating last year's total of 8345km. A recent and painful crash sidelined me for almost two weeks from any real riding, and mechanical problems on my cyclocross bike cost me almost 2000km of mileage due to it being out of commission while a frequently breaking wheel and some drive train woes got sorted (turned out the whole entire drive train, including the rear derailleur and the inline barrel adjusters were smoked, so too was the rear hub - I had cracked it!) 

Now though, I am good to go and am hoping to make it.  

Incidentally, I neglected to mention that I was able to ride the 'cross bike today for the first time since my crash a couple of weeks ago. It was like being gifted with wings.

No comments:

Post a Comment