Saturday 18 January 2014

an answer to a question

Red Kite Prayer's  Friday Group Ride this week asks the following question: "How did you become an adult cyclist? Did you tread an uninterrupted path from first childhood ride to this morning’s commute, or has the bike come and gone from your life? If the latter, what was the catalyst for your grown up self taking to the wheel again?"

(RKP is one of the best bicycle blogs - scratch that, it is THE best bicycle blog - that I have read)

Here is my answer to this question:

It started when I was 10. I could already ride, of course, but 10 was when my father bought me my first 10 speed and a wool cycling jersey and wool cycling shorts.
From then, a couple of years of hacking around on a bmx which got stolen.
Followed by years of road riding with my father. The best memories of my teen years center around road riding with my father.
Sadly, the car bug bit and I got out of cycling for a few years until a friend of mine got me hopelessly hooked on mountain biking. Did that for years until I was sidelined (mentally) by a bad crash.
Enter a spell of running followed by a spell of lazy.
Cycling kept rearing its head off and on for about eight or so years.
And then, a rebirth of sorts. All it took was a cyclocross bicycle and a persistent friend.
Now? The obsession is back in force and seems unlikely to ever die.
Spring cannot get here soon enough...

No comments:

Post a Comment