Tuesday 31 December 2013

a journey back to a future time

I recall a conversation I had with my mother. Actually, to be truthful, I am not sure if I recall it or not. But she assures me that it happened something like this.

"You know that Star Trek is not real, don't you?" says my mother.
"Yes." says a six year old me.
"You know that it is actors, sets, sound stages and models, right?"
"Yes."
"Oh good."
"But... on the real Enterprise..."

And on it would go.

On the real Enterprise.

What does that mean?

I suspect it means that somehow, we all need the fantastic to be true. That we all need something unreally real to look up to. Something we know is untrue, but is a pure embodiment of that which is truth.

It could be I am full of crap.

Either way, tonight my family is out, my daughter and my wife, and I am home feeling slightly sick and not willing to push it.

Alone with the cat and the rat.

Watching Season 1 of the original Star Trek series on blu-ray, and indulging myself in a journey back to a future time.

No comments:

Post a Comment