Friday 15 November 2013

so here we are and here we go

Sitting here as I am in a coffee shop drinking a coffee and browsing the Web, I am struck by the undeniable fact that we are, in fact, whether I like it or not, at that time of year again.

"Five golden rings,
Four calling birds,
Three French hens,
Two turtle doves,
And a partridge in a pear tree."

rings out over the coffee shop speakers as I stare dejectedly at my dimly glowing screen. It is barely mid-November, and already the hounds of impending festivities are braying at us from the ceilings.

I enjoy "the holidays" but find that being bludgeoned by sincerely sung seasonal music insincerely played to be a bit much on a day this far in advance of the holiday it pretends to support. The decorations are just as bad. Plastic wreaths and garlands, twisted faux wood ornaments, and ribbons abound finishing the assault on the senses initiated by the music.

Now don't get me wrong, or at least don't get me totally wrong. I am not anti-Christmas. Or, at least, I am not anti-Christmas at Christmas time. What I am opposed to is the intense pressure, ramping up as it always does at this time of year, for things to be "perfect" when so clearly for so many they obviously aren't and cannot be by the standards of our society. And when perfect is so strongly linked to economic success and the ability to consume to excess, it is no wonder that for so many people this time of year is anything but a merry little time.

So what to do?

If you do buy for people this holiday season, at least buy local and support a small business. Or perhaps better, create something real and from the heart that actually speaks to the person for whom the gift is intended.

I plan a year of framed art. What about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment