Tuesday 11 December 2012

a happy gearhead

Having two hobbies which to a certain extent revolve around gear can place a person in a mindset where the point of it all can be lost in a pursuit, real or imagined, of the next best thing.

The truth is, there is no next best thing.

It has taken me a while, but I get that now more than ever.

I am truly satisfied with what I use to create pictures, and what I use to ride around the part of the world I live in.

And all that has changed is how I approach what I am trying to do through my hobbies.

taken while out with a coffee with a friend
the most wonderful time of the year? perhaps
somehow, this cannot be right
divine light 1
divine light 2
The cameras work the way I want them to. I am satisfied.

This contentment with the way things are has not made me stop yearning for new bicycles though. And really, what will ever stop that from happening?

Nothing. Part of the love I have for cycling stems from a definite love of the bicycle itself. And the more bikes that enter my life, the happier I am. To me, they are more than a machine for transport and more than a machine for exercise. To me, they are an expression of something, I don't know, bigger than a sum of their parts.

It is so bad that I get excited about new tires. Really.

My wife often jokes with me about what would I do with all the bicycles I dream about if I had them.

I don't understand the question.

But the satisfaction with the way things are does make it a lot easier to simply enjoy every minute I get to spend with my bicycles and makes it easier to focus on the part of this hobby that truly matters.

Riding.

No comments:

Post a Comment