Tuesday 28 September 2010

the Olympus E-5

I think I might end up getting myself one of these once the dust settles on the price of the beast. I currently shoot with an E-3 and a trio of HG lenses (50mm f2, 14-54mm f2.8-3.5, and a 50-200mm f2.8-3.5 swd). I very much enjoy these lenses and desire to keep system weather sealing intact. Switching to another brand and matching the quality of what I have while maintaining the rugged build would cost more than I am willing to spend. Sadly, until recently, it looked like that might be the only option open to me.

I don't think that way any more.

I have been watching with some interest the speculation about what Olympus is up to and whether or not the company was listening to the voice of its customers at this end of their camera line up.

It appears that they did listen. The new camera, from all reports, fixes a great deal of what people did not like about the old one while preserving that which worked well. Initial photos appear to show an improvement in picture quality (which is really what it is all about.) I look forward to reading some full reviews.

Should what I am seeing be right, it will be good enough for me. I don't need any more than what I have now that the E-5 does not fix, at least on paper.

As well, enough has been said by people at the top at Olympus to convince me that while the form of their top camera might change, it will still exist and be fully compatible with their current stable of lenses. I suspect that they know more about what is going on than vocal speculators on various Internet fora do.

So, now to wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment