Monday 21 July 2014

Sony Xperia Z2

Move over Apple, there is a new boss in town...

Basically, the story goes like this.

My wonderful wife bought me a wonderful MacBook Pro Retina (snort, I hate marketing hype *roll eyes*) which I have come to truly like. It is a great laptop for photos, text, and all that I would use a laptop for. And yes, the monitor is delicious even if Apple sounds moronic for calling it a "retina" monitor.

Yay me. I got very lucky. Very lucky indeed.

So, figuring that I have been kicked over the fence into Apple land, I decided to explore getting an iPhone. I had been very happily using a BlackBerry Z10, but found that the camera was, to be as gentle as possible, lacking. To be accurate, it sucked horribly. It was and is crap when compared to other smartphones in its class. Also, I have started using Strava, and there is no real app for that with BlackBerry.

The iPhone would solve that for me, and play nicely with my computer.

So I thought, why not?

Well, turns out (obviously I don't know much about iPhones, as this next paragraph will demonstrate) to get any kind of decent memory in an iPhone, you need to pay some serious iMoney. Lots of it. I was willing to do that, sort of, to get the phone, until I noticed that the battery life is not that great if you pound on the gps a lot, which I would be doing since I plan on using Strava a lot. A friend reported that his iPhone 5 would tank after about four or five hours of Strava use, and many of my rides go much longer than that. So a battery case was being looked at as an additional cost. To save money, I was debating an Mophie case with some cheaper storage in it. I could spend less on the case to bump up the battery life and memory than I would spend on more iMemory and a simpler battery case.

But then...

Reviews on the case were not so hot, I did not want the huge bulk, and it seemed like a kluge to have to stick extra memory and battery into a case when if the phone was set up right in the first place (hint, better battery and a micro-sd slot) none of it would be needed.

But then some more...

So I did some digging into other phones (which ran Android) and noticed the Sony. It has killer battery life (I have yet to drop below 50% in a day of heavy use) and a micro-sd slot. It is freaking huge, which is a pain, and is all glass, which I don't like much, but it has several things going for it which made that stuff stuff I was willing to live with.

It is waterproof.

In the real world, we use our phones. In the real world, it rains. There is NO EXCUSE for ANY phone to be made in this day and age which is not waterproof. It is a total no-brainer.

Win for Sony, the only company which sells a phone through Bell Mobility which gets this basic fact.

Any why does this matter to me? I ride my bike in the real world and get rained on. ZipLock bags are so last week...

Remember cameras? Remember how the iPhone would solve the camera issue?

Remember who makes the Xperia?

Sony.

The makers of the some of the best if not THE best consumer grade camera sensors on the planet. Their sensors are good. Very Very good.

Wait. This is a Sony phone. That means a Sony camera.

This must be a good thing.

It is.









Works for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment