Monday 9 June 2014

MonigraM Coffee Roasters

So what does one do if one desires a good cup of coffee?

Open a coffee shop of course.

And roast all of your own coffee.


And so, with that thought, MonigraM Coffee Roasters was born.

And a good thing that is.

Tonight, my lovely wife and I were out for a walk around Downtown Galt and happened, quite by chance, on this coffee shop.

Bit of a coffee snob that I am (bit? a lot try) I was immediately intrigued with the idea of a coffee shop that roasted its own beans. Clearly, I mused to myself and all who would listen, this may mean something good is in the air. Clearly as well, my detour into a back alley and my wife's exclamation of, "Hey look! A coffee shop!" was fortuitous as well.

The first thing to note when entering the shop is that this is not a canned environment. No canned coffee. No canned food. No canned music. Decor. Flooring. Chairs. Counters. None of it canned. It was also packed with people. We were quite honestly lucky to get a table.

A good sign that.

Upon securing a place to sit and ordering, we were struck by the incredible hospitality of the owner, Graham. The name of the company is actually a combination of his name and that of his wife. Very clever.

Graham is a genuinely nice guy. He refused payment until we had sampled our food. He brought us what we wanted promptly, and positively gushed over the food and coffee he was serving. If it sounds like I am gushing over the shop and the owner, it is with good reason. Let's just say it is several cuts above what I have come to expect even from high end one off coffee shops.

Speaking of the coffee.


The above cappuccino was so good that George Takei likely would have exclaimed as only he could exclaim, " Oh Myyyyyy".

It was perfect. The flavour appeared like a vapour and the foam was just so. Bitter, but not overpowering, the small cup was just the right size. I would not want more than this.

Mel, on the other hand, not being a coffee drinker had her own special yummies.


The soda pop was superb, and the jam? To die for. Chocolate raspberry. And Graham did not even blink when she asked for a spoon to eat it. It made perfect sense to him that this jam would be eaten in such a manner.

Sadly, there was no dark chocolate to go with my coffee, but I was able to snag a delicious pastry and nibble on it for a bit.


Yummy, just don't inhale the icing sugar...






So will we go back? Yes.
Has this place become my de facto South Galt coffee shop for post ride coffee? Yes.

Long live the independents!

No comments:

Post a Comment