Wednesday 31 July 2013

please please just make it stop!

Rant time.

You know that trend out there in photography land? I am sure you do. I am sure you have been afflicted with pictures ruined by this trend. If you like pictures at all and spend any time at all on photography sites I am sure you have encountered the following...

Dreaded baby demon eyes.

Looking at these pictures, I feel as if I have to duck lest I get scorched from the hellfire about to rain down on me from their dangerously glowing eyes.

Here is a picture of my cousin's marvelous little girl that I took using a particularly optically sharp lens:


She has naturally "wet" eyes that actually seem to glow a bit without the aid of a demon. Do not add the demon.

Now look at what four minutes in Lightroom can do to this little child to make her look like something from the deeps:



It does NOT LOOK GOOD!!!

In fact, it looks horrible.

Subtle is not the approach being used in this style of photography. (We all know how it is done. Highlight the eyes in something like Lightroom using the adjustment brush. Boost the clarity beyond anything reasonable. Boost the sharpness a bit as well. Tweak (upwards) the exposure. At the same time, smooth away detail in the skin using the soften skin brush. Toss in some vignette, and what do you get? A picture of a demon possessed child.)

Someone is actually taking the time to wreck some otherwise beautiful pictures of otherwise beautiful children.

It is enough to make one cringe.

Please Please Make It Stop!

No comments:

Post a Comment